These sweet little banana bread muffins are perfect as a to-go breakfast, or as a delicious snack. Topped with some organic greek yoghurt, like I did, they even look like sweet banana cupcakes! But, don’t let them fool you, as these are much better for you, while tasting even better.
If you are a vegan, you can best skip the greek yoghurt topping, or replace it with some (sweetened) vegan cream cheese. I’ve also tried this frosting using plant yoghurt, but unfortunately it is a bit too runny for this purpose.
3 tablespoons broken flax seed
9 tablespoons half-warm water
200 gram shredded coconut
1 teaspoon baking soda
dash of salt
dash of cinnamon
2 very ripe bananas
2 tablespoons liquid coconut oil
2 tablespoons agave syrup, maple syrup or other liquid sweetener
organic greek yoghurt or vegan cream cheese (optional)
dehydrated banana coins (optional)
1. Mix the broken flax with the water and let rest to thicken.
2. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
3. Mix the shredded coconut, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
4. Mash the bananas by hand or in a food processor and mix in the coconut oil, agave syrup and the flax-water mixture.
5. Add the dry and wet ingredients together and stir well until combined.
6. Divide the batter over 8 muffin tins and bake them for about 25 minutes.
7. After they’ve cooled down, decorate the muffins with organic greek or thick plant yoghurt and some dehydrated banana coins.
Note: When the muffins are decorated they won’t keep as long, so only do so if you are going to eat them soon afterwards.