With winter approaching, I prefer easy, cosy dinners that are warming, delicious and nutritious. And what is more cosy and simple than soup?!
Admittedly, this Creamy Red Lentil and Coconut Soup isn’t the quickest (check out this tomato soup if you want a quick soup), but it is very budget friendly and perfectly spiced.
For me, soup is real soul food – it is healthy, it is hearty, it is wholesome, and it is simple. The spices in this soup really take it to the next level, as all the other ingredients are kind of boring, and can taste rather bland. There is cumin to add warmth to the soup, paprika for some sweetness, oregano for a bitter note, chili for some heat and ground cinnamon because it is just simply makes everything taste better – yes, savory dishes too! If you want to make this dish, make sure you have good quality spices on hand.
The full-fat coconut milk adds some delicious creaminess to the soup and balances out the tart flavor of the diced tomatoes and the earthy flavor of the lentils. All in all, this is a delicious soup with multiple layers of flavors that will keep you warm and happy on a dark and cosy autumn night 🍂🍁
Creamy Red Lentil and Coconut Soup
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Yield: 6 servings
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili or a whole dried chili
1 teaspoon dried oregano
5cm piece of ginger, finely diced
250 gram red lentils, dried
1 L hot water
1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
2 cans (800 gram) diced tomatoes
optional: salt and pepper
For serving: coconut cream and fresh coriander
1. Heat up the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the diced onion and fry until the onion becomes glassy.
3. Also add the garlic, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, dried oregano, ginger and lentils and fry for another one to two minutes, while stirring frequently. If the spices tend to stick to the pan, you may want to add a little more olive oil.
4. Add the hot water, coconut mild and canned diced tomatoes to the lentil mixture and let simmer for 30 minutes or so. Stir every once in a while.
5. Just before serving, taste whether you want to add some more salt, pepper or other spices. Serve with a dollop of coconut cream and fresh coriander leaves.
Nutritional information per serving
24.2 gram fat
of which 15.4 gram saturated fat
37.9 gram carbohydrates
of which 16.9 gram fiber and 7.8 gram sugar
14.1 gram protein