This post is sponsored by Love My Salad.
Hello lovely people! I have a new recipe for this gorgeous purple eggplant and carrot soup for you all today. Apart from being an absolute feast for the eyes, this soup is also super delicious! The combination of eggplant, carrots, ricotta and walnut pesto is slightly sweet and rich in umami flavor.
Making this soup is also a perfect way to use up that overflow of eggplants and other produce in the summer and saving it for later, since the soup freezes well.
Purple Eggplant Soup
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Serves: 4 servings
For the soup
1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 large aubergines, in pieces of a few cm (I used one “normal” oval round eggplant, one graffiti eggplant and one round eggplant)
2 chopped onions
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
½ teaspoon of ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano or 1.5 tablespoons fresh oregano (only the leaves)
600 grams purple carrots, in pieces of a few cm
1.5 L vegetable broth
250 grams of ricotta
Spinach and walnut pesto
1. Take a large soup pot (minimum of 2.5 L) and heat the olive oil in it over medium heat. Fry the onion, garlic and eggplant in 5 minutes until the onion is glassy.
2. Add the cumin, the paprika powder, the dried oregano and the carrots and stir well until the herbs are evenly distributed.
3. Add the vegetable broth to the pan and let simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, mix the ricotta with a few tablespoons of water until it has the consistency of cottage cheese or Greek yogurt. Set aside.
5. Allow the soup to cool slightly (about 5 to 10 minutes) and then puree with a blender or hand blender until smooth.
6. Serve the soup with the ricotta, arugula and pesto. Enjoy!
Serving size: one serving (1/4 of recipe)
13.2 g protein
12.8 g fat
of which 6.8 g unsaturated and 5.9 g saturated
50.1 g carbohydrates
of which 25.5 g sugar and 18.5 g fiber
1029 mg sodium